Wednesday, November 21, 2012


Letter To A Girlfriend

Dear Angela,

     I know my behavior last night was abhorrent.  I know it was not right to hit on your friends, or your mother for that matter.  It was not right that I injured your cats leg trying to demonstrate the intricacies of dancing “Gangnam Style”.  Nor was it the best decision to then try to dance “Gangnam Style” myself, but to my credit I seem to remember being awesome at it.
     I know you must think that my drinking had something to do with my behavior.  True, we have had issues in the past with drinking … okay, I have had issues with drinking, but you were right there letting me do it.  You could have just as easily taken the drink from my hand and wrestled me to the ground to stop me, but I won’t rehash all that again.  I’m just saying, it’s something you could work on.
     No, I really think something else is at work here, and I think once you hear me out you will realize how wrong you were to yell at me and kick me out of the party following your nephews Christening.  I think it is quite clear what happened to me yesterday and what I fell victim to:
     Demonic possession.
     We have all seen a rise in demonic possession stories in the news, or at least in the subject material in several new movie plots that I have seen the trailers for on TV.  I can’t always tell the difference.  I am quite sure that it is a growing problem.  If not, they wouldn’t be making movies about it, would they?  I have also seen books and TV shows about it and let me tell you, it is not pleasant.  It also would explain a lot of my behavior from yesterday.
     Case in point: the vomiting.  Have you ever seen The Exorcist?  That little girl threw up way more than I did, yet everyone felt bad for her and I got yelled at.  The insensitivity shown me was shocking, but I am prepared to forgive.  It is unfortunate that I threw up on your cat, again while demonstrating aforementioned dance moves, and again on myself while dancing, but I really had no control over that, the demon was in charge.  You might also want to check your kitchen cabinet, the one with the Lazy Susan.  I seem to remember the demon commanding me to vomit in there also.
     Another occurrence from yesterday we can attribute to the demon: the yelling and cursing and loud outbursts in general.  I know I should not have called your grandmother a whore, but again, that girl in The Exorcist said much worse. Besides, where I may have said some off color things about your grandmother (a lovely woman, by the way) that little girl said them about a priest’s mother!  I mean, compared to that telling your grandmother about my penis was nothing. Showing her was probably a bit much, but I’m telling you, the demon had control. 
     I have just realized that there is a chance you have never seen The Exorcist, and if that is the case I really think you should put this letter down and go watch it on Netflix.  It is not really fair to me in the least if you are reading this without first seeing the horrible behavior of the little girl in that movie. Moreover, you will see just how similar my behavior was to someone possessed by a demon.  I have also included on a separate sheet some other movies concerning demonic possession that you could also watch.  You don’t have to watch them, but I think if you seriously want this relationship to work you would be willing to put in the effort.  Once you have watched them, or at least watched The Exorcist, please start reading the letter over again from the beginning.  
     Thinking about it, I think you and your family might owe me a bit of thanks.  In many cases of demonic possession, the possessed person will murder others while under control of the demon.  Apparently I was strong-willed enough to resist the urge to murder most of your family, and yet I am being made to feel like I did something wrong here!  While you may think it was bad behavior to knock over your bookcase and break that lamp while yelling at your aunt, it seems I was in reality quelling the demons urge to murder her and perhaps your entire family and your stupid cat.  Sorry, I didn’t mean to call your cat stupid, Mr. Boots is a fine cat.  I believe that was the demon again.
     I’m not sure why the demon made me hug your father and profess my love for him while crying, but I’m sure there is a demon movie I haven’t seen with a scene like that in it.  Demons seem to be very crafty, so I’m sure it had a reason.  Besides, I’m sure your father was touched by the display, who wouldn’t want to be told they are loved?
     This whole possession thing has given me a new outlook on life.  For instance, apparently most of my frat buddies were also possessed by demons just like I was back in college.  That would explain a lot of our behavior.  I’m sure it was the demons that were responsible for all the homoerotic activity taking place after some of those dorm parties!  That’s certainly a load off of my mind.
     I can assure you that in the future I will try to find help for my affliction, perhaps go to see a priest or hypnotist.  Maybe I can find an old gypsy woman; I notice that they are sometimes involved when demons appear in the movies.  Do you know of any gypsy camps outside of town?  If not, I guess I can check on Google Maps.  I just ask that you stick with me and have some sympathy for what I am going through.  I don’t want to make you feel guilty, but it’s the least you can do after the insensitive way you’ve treated me when I have a condition that’s beyond my control.
     I’m going to go now, for some reason the possession has left me with a splitting headache and feeling nauseous.  I will let you reflect on what I have said here and I’m sure you will feel a little foolish for being mad at me and explain this all to your family. 

Sincerely,
John (as far as I know)

© David Ferraris 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment